Thursday, March 10, 2011

4 Years!!

Has it really been that long? Today is 4 years since Mitch and I started dating. In light of this, I kind of wanted to share a little about what I shared last night in our small group bible study. We were talking about prayer and all of us shared a prayer or two, big or small, that had actually been answered.

All through Junior High and High School, I was convinced that I was going to marry a specifiic guy. I had known this guy since I was very little and my parents were close to his parents when I was little. My prayers were always selfish and shallow about finding the man of my dreams. I always prayed asking God to change the heart of this boy because I knew that I was going to marry him and that he was the one for me. I got bummed out so many times because so often this guy showed interest and then turned right around and was super distant. Long story, short....it was super frustrating interacting with this person, but still...my prayers continued.

During High School, my dad's boss made it so difficult on him, it, in a way, forced him to quit and switch careers. Hence, my dad changed to a career in real estate, which led him to help me get once of my first jobs working at a real estate Association in my hometown.

College time came around and I took a leap of faith and followed God's leading to a school where I knew no one. I didn't know who God would chose for my roommate....nothing. Therefore, my attitude towards my future mate changed. I looked at this as a fresh start and kind of left everything behind. I told God "Obviously what I had been praying for is not working or is not in the plan, so I'm done. I'm not going to look for anyone and whatever happens, happens." This was during my Freshman year of college.


At the end of my Freshman year, I was sick of my current food services position and looked into local real estate Associations for employment since I already knew the industry a bit. I got hired on a my current job and really loved it. At the job, I met some pretty great co-workers my age that I got along with real well.


My Sophomore year of college, my company was having its annual Christmas cocktail party. I was all set to go with one of my good friends from college, but I knew there was a slight chance he may not have been able to go. In the end, he had a family event that he had to attend (he let me know the day of :/ ) but I was fine to just go by myself. My co-worker found out about this and offered to ask his best friend if he wanted to go with me. Not being one to ever choose to do something like that with someone I've never met before, I respectfully declined the offer. He told me to call him if I changed my mind. For the heck of it, after work, I called a couple of friends, male and female, and everyone had seriously legit reasons as to why they couldn't go. So, I decided I was just going to go by myself. Then I called my roommate and she convinced me to just go ahead and tell my co-worker to invite his friend. I hesitated because I just did not consider myself that outgoing to do that sort of thing.

On my commute home I battled with what to do and in the end, just ended up calling my co-worker and asking him to ask his friend for me. What a fantastic decision because if you haven't already guessed, that friend was Mitch :)

I truly believe that having Mitch is my life is the doing of God alone and only through Him would this have even been possible. If my dad hadn't basically been fired, he never would have become a REALTOR, which means he never would have got me connected with the Merced County Association of REALTORS which means I never would have even thought to apply at my current Association of REALTORS which means I never would have met my co-workers which means I never would have met Mitch. Mitch and I literally had no connections that could have ever caused us to meet of our own accord. God alone is responsible for this.

These last four years have been the absolute best of my life. Mitch is such a caring and compassionate man and he is my best friend. He completely balances me and is strong in all the areas that I am weak. I love him with all my heart and could not be happier that I married him!

Sorry if that was way sappy for some of you ;)

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com